Do Quizzes Work?
You know what I’m talking about. You’ve probably even taken a few yourself. What’s your ideal work environment? What kind of fighter are you? Are you ready to buy your first home? Who’s your ideal soulmate? (find out in less than one minute!)
But here’s the truth: quizzes are one of the most underrated types of content out there, and they’re generally a very effective part of an overall marketing strategy (if done well, and we’re going to show you how!).
So to get the answer to the question “Do they work?” out of the way early, yes, quizzes work. But why? There are many granular reasons quizzes as a lead generation tool work well, and we will get to them. But this:
It’s human nature to want to know ourselves better (even if it’s just for fun).
That’s right. These fun little online Q&As allow us to confirm (or craft) who we want to be and to share it with the world so we can confirm (or alter) how others perceive us. Oh, social media. Such a sly fox you are.
But psychology aside, online quizzes can help businesses grow their bottom line, and that’s what we’re here to talk about. According to LeadQuizzes, the average quiz has a 33.6% lead capture rate. That’s pretty darn good, and honestly, we’ve seen lead capture rates even higher than that.
Why Quizzes Work
Here’s the deal. Interactive content is waaaaaayyy more powerful than any old guide or ebook, mainly because it is more attention-grabbing and attention-keeping than static content. It just is. And….quizzes are fun! When scrolling through social media, you’re more likely to click on something with entertainment value, right?
The ways that quizzes work to help you grow your business are many, but here are the top reasons we love them:
They give you insight into your target audience. If you ask the right questions, responses will help you better understand your ideal patient’s/customer’s needs and desires. It’s like asking people to fill out a survey, except that it’s actually fun for them!
They allow you to create targeted content and get it in front of the right audience. Before writing your quiz content, ask yourself this; “What keeps my ideal patient or customer up at night?” Then speak to that. When your content hits its target, it will speak to exactly what the user is experiencing and the outcome they desire. When your message is on point, getting ideal clients to convert is not so much of a challenge.
Follow-up is crucial (and easy!). Chances are, they took that quiz for fun, and if you don’t follow up, they’re going to forget you even exist. The automated nature of these quizzes makes it easy to send a short (did we mention to keep it short?!) welcome email. This first touch will warm up what is basically a cold lead and let them get to know you and understand what you can do for them.
How Quizzes Work
Now that we’ve established that quizzes are a viable lead capture tool that is, at the very least, worth a try, let’s talk about the nuts and bolts of making one.
- Choose your platform. There are tons of quiz generating platforms out there. Pick your favorite! Just make sure the automation features allow you to capture those leads. Or if you’re shaky on this whole technology thing, let us create one for you!
- Choose a quiz type. Among the most common quiz types are “Is x or y right for you?” quizzes, where users are matched to either x or y based on their answers, and knowledge quizzes, which test a user’s knowledge on a given subject.
- Write your quiz questions. This is an important step, y’all. Not to be rushed through or done without thought. In a nutshell, remember that your quiz questions need to lead back to what you sell. Beyond that, use personality, images (because, fun) and keep it short and sweet. We like to say six questions, tops. People have short attention spans, and you don’t want them to opt-out before finishing, right? Right.
- Design your lead capture form. The purpose of this form is to gather contact information so you can grow your email list, and get in touch with the quiz taker in the future. Our best tip here: Incentivize, incentivize, incentivize. Give the people a reason to share their email address, for heaven’s sake. Newsletters, ebooks or even a giveaway help people feel better about sharing their email address with you. Note: Go ahead and be honest about your marketing intent here. Let people know that when they share their contact information, you’re going to contact them.
- Distribute your quiz. Assuming you have taken the quiz, had all your coworkers take the quiz, your spouse, your kids and maybe your dog, and you’ve worked out all the kinks, it’s now time to promote that bad boy on social media. Facebook is your best bet here, and if you want extra exposure, you can use Facebook advertising to boost your post.
Trust the Experts
Looking for comprehensive and impactful marketing solutions? How about honest and thoughtful direction from a pro? At MPR, we build customized solutions, not plug-and-play, off-the-shelf fixes. We bring real ideas to life that deliver real impact. From quizzes to full campaigns and branding to team training, we’ve got you. Reach out, and let’s get started.